Saturday, June 21, 2014

Allergen Free Sources of Protein

So sorry it has been far to long since I have posted! 

Here is a list I have complied of allergen free sources of protein!

Quinoa: this is a plant protein that takes on whatever flavors you cook it in. I like to cook it in one cup sodium free chicken broth and one cup water. I add it to meat for stuffed peppers or meatballs. You can also add veggies like peppers, onions,  broccoli to the cooked quinoa and form them into patties and “fry” them on the stove top. They have the consistency of hashbrowns. Just be careful of your carbs with quinoa.

Spinach: a great source of protein and not going to jack up the carb intake.

Beef jerky: a good quick snack. Though some brands are higher in sodium than others so always read your labels!

Peas: peas are an amazing source of protein, make a good side, or mix it with brown rice or quinoa.

Brown rice: I prefer quinoa over brown rice simply because I can have more of the quinoa than the brown rice for the same nutritional value. 

Sunflower seeds: crazy right? yeah sunflower seeds hold a whopping 7.5g protein for 2oz. They make sunflower “peanut butter” that is a great alternative to actual peanutbutter since it is nut free.

Lentils and Beans: oh I love black beans. Soup is a great way to get in beans and peas and add some carrots and whatever else you like, cook it up at the beginning of the week and boom, lunch for the week.

Kale: I never thought I would like Kale, but if you dry it, I mean really dry it with paper towels put a little EVVO on it and bake it on some parchment paper at 375 for about 12 minutes. It is so good! 

Mushrooms: if you like mushrooms, I love to sautee them up with some yellow onion and garlic and worcestershire sauce and put it on top of some chicken!

Peppers: bell peppers are a great source too. Guess what? Fajitas! 

Cauliflower: just like kale, I only really like this one roasted but it takes about 30 minutes to roast a head of flower, it is super super addictive be sure to eat it with people who also like it so you don’t eat the whole thing.

Tomatoes: I eat a cucumber tomato salad every night. Its my treat. I love it. But tomatoes in general anyway you want them have 18% protein

Cucumbers: I adore cucumber. It is an amazing veggie. It helps maintain blood sugar, reduce inflammation in the body, can cure headaches and body aches. Really just an amazing veggie. 

 Asparagus: I also like this one roasted in the oven. Super good.

Chia seeds: just like sunflower seeds these little seeds pack a ton of protein in a small space! I love them on my salad!

Chicken: has about 25 to 28grams of protein per chicken breast! thats pretty awesome.

Salmon: 22grams of protein in a 4oz fillet of salmon. Really watch your fat content for the day because salmon is full of those wonderful omega-3 fatty acids that your brain needs!

Chick peas: yummmy, hummus! Not everyone loves hummus but I am a huge fan, I put it on my deli turkey and roll them up. So good.

Deli meat: I eat about 4 to 8 slices a day of deli meat, just really watch your sodium with what kind you buy! Don’t buy the sodium free. It is nasty. 

Sweet potato: yum! I love white sweet potatoes those are my fav. I cube them up dash a little EVVO on them and a lot of cinnamon and bake them for about 40 minutes at 425 in  the oven. 

Steel Oat: very high in protein. I like to add fruit to mine.

Tilapia: this fish wont jack up your fats like salmon does. I love to put sauteed red and yellow bell peppers and red onion and garlic on top of my tilapia with a side of long grain and wild rice.

Lean beef, bison, or venison: these are excellent sources of protein as well and such a variety as to how to cook it!


Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for reading,
Tiffany


No comments:

Post a Comment